Utility Assistance

What is HEAP?

HEAP is the state of Ohio’s Home Energy Assistance Program. Through this program, SELF is able to offer HEAP, PIPP, and the Summer and Winter Crisis Programs. More information on each program and its benefits can be found below.

2022-23 Winter Crisis – What You Need to Know

The 2022 Winter Crisis program runs November 1, 2021 through March 31, 2022.

SELF is not requiring in-person appointments at this time. However, SELF is requiring appointments by phone or video call. Butler County residents in need of assistance may make an appointment by visiting self.itfrontdesk.com or calling 513-868-9300.  *WALK-INS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED*


What do I need to provide for my appointment?

The documents you need to provide are listed at self.itfrontdesk.com, where you can also upload them!

ALL HEAP guidelines are determined by the State of Ohio.

SELF can help you restore gas or electric service, avoid disconnection and in some cases lower your payments to a manageable level.

*If you are applying for a non-household member, you must have a notarized statement or POA giving you permission to apply for utility assistance for that person.*

We recommend that you make an appointment as soon as you receive a disconnection notice. Call 1-513-868-9300. SELF IS NO LONGER OFFERING WALK-INS DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC.

How Can HEAP Help Me?

HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program): A one-time (annual) payment to your utility bill by the State of Ohio. Operates at same time as Summer Crisis and Winter Crisis programs.

PIPP (Percentage of Income Payment Plan) Plus: Operates year-round for regulated utilities. SELF helps Butler County residents who are customers of regulated utility providers certify or re-certify for PIPP. PIPP is an extended payment arrangement with gas and electric companies that bases payments on a percentage of household income.

Summer Crisis Program: Typically operates between July 1 and August 31. The Summer Crisis Program helps households with senior citizens (age 60 or older) and people with documented medical conditions stay cool during the hottest summer months – with utility bill assistance, fans, and air conditioners. Eligible Butler County residents must make an appointment to apply. Assistance is provided once per season. Appointments can be made at self.itfrontdesk.com.

Winter Crisis Program: Typically operates between November 1 and March 31. The Winter Crisis Program assists low-income individuals and families with their utility bills so they can heat their homes in cold winter months. The maximum monetary amount of utility assistance varies by year and utility assistance is provided once per season. Eligible Butler County residents must make an appointment to apply. Appointments can be made at self.itfrontdesk.com.

What is Countable Income? Learn more here.

Back to Programs

Blue letters spelling out SELF with a multi-colored bridge across the logo

To see more SELF success stories and the latest news:

Follow us on social media: Facebook  Instagram Twitter Sign up for SELF's Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List iconEmail Newsletter
For Email Newsletters you can trust