The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is reporting an increase in scams surrounding the Coronavirus. Be extra cautious when receiving calls from unknown numbers!
Here is a list of tips from the FTC to stay safe:
- Don’t respond to texts, emails or calls about checks from the government. The details are still coming together.
- Ignore online offers for vaccinations and home test kits. There are no products proven to treat or prevent COVID-19 at this time.
- Hang up on robocalls. Scammers are using illegal robocalls to pitch everything from low-priced health insurance to work-at-home schemes.
- Watch for emails claiming to be from the CDC or WHO. Use sites like coronavirus.gov and usa.gov/coronavirus to get the latest information. And don’t click on links from sources you don’t know.
- Do your homework when it comes to donations. Never donate in cash, by gift card, or by wiring money.
For more information on scams happening during the COVID-19 Crisis, visit the FTC website.