If You’re Tired of Just Getting By,
Learn the Skills & Tools to Get Ahead.
It’s never too early to start thinking about your dreams for a new future!
Getting Ahead via ZOOM!
Dates and times TBA, will meet once weekly.
Takes place wherever YOU are!
Call or text Ashley at 513-341-6396 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Getting Ahead/R-Rules at Ohio Means Jobs
Classes on a rolling basis | Mondays and Thursdays, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
4631 Dixie Hwy, Fairfield, 45014
Call or text Darren at 513-773-4274 or email email@example.com
Preregistration for ALL GA classes is required. Must be a Butler County resident to enroll.
See required intake documents below.
What is Getting Ahead?
“Getting Ahead in a Just Gettin’ by World” is a curriculum that assists individuals living in poverty to evaluate their lives, so they can develop the skills necessary to survive and flourish. Participants will examine their own pasts and create new futures, including developing a written plan for prosperity that is broken down into manageable and achievable steps.
Getting Ahead sessions meet once a week for 18 weeks. Meals, childcare and gift cards incentives available. Participants will:
- Examine all areas of their lives including their resources, attitudes & aspirations.
- Learn about the hidden rules of economic class and how to navigate around them.
- Complete personal money management classes conducted by LifeSpan.
- Build new, supportive friendships with classmates.
- Receive one-on-one help to overcome barriers to success.
- Start planning for new, more self-sufficient futures!
If you are interested in this program, contact Ashley Davidson at 513-341-6396 or firstname.lastname@example.org to enroll, learn more or arrange a presentation at your organization.
Getting Ahead Program Success: Meet Cory
I’ve always had the
inspiration to do better,
but life is hard. It was
hard to know who to
reach out to or where
to go for help. I am so
thankful for Getting
Ahead it taught me how to follow my dreams.
Before enrolling in Getting Ahead, Cory was struggling to raise two young kids alone. With her husband incarcerated, she was the family’s breadwinner, and had little hope of supporting her kids from the meager wages at her part-time job.
With the help of Getting Ahead, Cory formed a new plan for self-sufficiency — first and foremost, to find a different career. Although she had some post-secondary education, she had not yet earned her degree. With SELF’s assistance, Cory applied for and was accepted into a program that would cover tuition at an IT and web design school and also provide childcare so she could attend classes. Even before the program’s end, Cory was offered her dream job — a position as a web designer with a starting salary significant enough to successfully support her family.
The Getting Ahead Formula:
Self Reflection + Learning
+ Networking + Resources
+ Support Networks
+ Self-Esteem + Emergency
Assistance + Encouragement
+ Hard Work + YOU
A Plan for Prosperity
The Getting Ahead Program is based on research and work by renowned anti-poverty advocate Dr. Ruby Payne. Visit these websites to learn more about her work and our approach to working with people in poverty and helping them get ahead:
Required Client Intake Documentation:
- Applicant’s Photo ID
- Proof of Butler County residency (current piece of mail)
- All household members’ social security cards or print-out of social from SSA (Social Security Administration)
- All household members’ proof of income (last 13 weeks from intake date, or last 3 months). This includes any additional subsidy for utilities
- If client has no income, client must complete self-declaration form
- Provide a print-out of all benefits currently received. (e.g., food stamps, child support, unemployment, social security (Must show documentation or verification of any type of income))
If you do not have these documents readily available, you may take clear pictures of the documents and email them to your class facilitator.