SELF’s Automotive Repair Assistance Program is OPEN
What is the Auto Repair program?
The SELF Automotive Repair Assistance Program provides emergency personal vehicle repair to remove transportation barriers from employment success. Keep reading to learn how to apply and what to expect from the program.
How do I qualify for car repairs?
- The applicant must be the legal owner of the vehicle.
- Applicants must be Butler County residents with a total household income at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (For a family of 4, total annual income must be no more than $55,500 in 2022).
- The applicant’s vehicle MUST be used for employment purposes, such as transportation to work.
- The total cost to repair the vehicle can not exceed $2,500.
How do I apply for car repairs?
Complete this brief form to join the waitlist. You will be contacted by SELF when you reach the top of our waitlist!
What happens after I complete the online application?
When you complete the application, you will receive an immediate confirmation on your screen, and you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive either of these confirmations, you did not successfully complete the application.
- Within one week of submitting your application, SELF will determine your eligibility for this program based on your completion of the application process, demonstration of qualification for the program, and availability of funding.
- If you are approved for assistance:
- SELF will provide the location of the repair shop chosen for your vehicle.
- In some cases, SELF will provide instruction for the towing method chosen for the vehicle.
- The repair shop will give the results of a base diagnostic test, full inspection, and estimate to SELF.
- After reviewing the report from the repair shop, SELF will determine what (if any) repairs are eligible for assistance.
- SELF will provide you with an Authorization for Repair Agreement that you will need to sign in order to receive assistance.
- SELF will instruct the repair shop to make repairs that you agreed on in the Authorization for Repair Agreement. SELF will pay the repair shop. You will be notified when your vehicle is ready to be picked up from the repair shop!
How long does this process take?
Receiving repairs for your vehicle could take several weeks or more depending on the needs of your vehicle. You will be notified within one week whether your online application for assistance has been approved. Then, you will have one week to follow the instructions provided by SELF to transport your vehicle to the repair shop that has been chosen by SELF. The repair shop may need several days to complete the base diagnostic, full inspection, and to provide the estimate to SELF. Within one week of receiving the estimate, SELF will provide you with an Authorization for Repair Agreement that you will need to sign. Then, the repair shop will begin the repairs outlined in the Authorization for Repair Agreement.
I need vehicle repairs, but I do not use my vehicle for employment. Can I get assistance?
The Automotive Repair Assistance program is currently only available for employment-related purposes.
It is intended to provide transportation to and from work; however, other employment-related purposes will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The application will ask you to write the way(s) the vehicle is utilized for qualified, employment-related purposes.
Can I speak to someone about my application?
Due to very limited staff resources, you will not be able to speak to a staff member about this program until after you complete the online application. You will be contacted within one week of your application submission.
Learn more about what SELF has to offer:
Need help with rent or utilities? Learn more here.