Utility Assistance and Emergency COVID-19 Assistance
Regular utility assistance and emergency COVID-19 related assistance are available through SELF. Our offices will be open to the public soon. In the meantime, learn about emergency resources here.
Energy Assistance (HEAP)
SELF’s Summer Crisis Program will run July 1, 2022 – August 31, 2022. To apply for HEAP, PIPP, or Summer Crisis, schedule an appointment by calling 513-868-9300, Option 1 for Utility Assistance or visit self.itfrontdesk.com.
Emergency Rent/Utility/Mortgage Assistance
SELF is processing applications for emergency COVID-related rent and utility assistance. COVID-related mortgage assistance is processed by Neighborhood Housing Services of Hamilton.
Please note we do have a waiting list put in place for applications!
How do I get an application for emergency rent/utility assistance?
You may get an application from outside SELF’s offices at any time.
Applications can also be downloaded and printed from this page.
You may also fill out our new online application.
Finally, if you are unable to pick up, print, or fill out an online application, you may request that SELF mail one to you. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a paper application by mail.
Applications may be submitted in a variety of ways:
- Submit an application online.
- At SELF’s Hamilton or Middletown offices, where secure drop boxes are located outside.
- This is the fastest method for SELF to begin processing your application.
- Hamilton: 415 S. Monument Ave.
- Middletown: 930 9th Ave.
- Mailed to PO Box 1322, Hamilton, OH 45012
- Faxed to 513-737-3889
- Emailed to email@example.com
Download the application for rent/utility assistance below:
***ATTENTION: Landlord forms will NOT be accepted without a completed tenant application. Thank you***
If you or your tenant fills out the above online application, the below landlord forms will need to be submitted separately.
MORTGAGE ASSISTANCE – PROVIDED THROUGH Neighborhood Housing Services of Hamilton, Inc. (NHS)
Mortgage assistance applications must be returned to NHS to be processed. If you need Mortgage assistance AND utility assistance, you will need to fill out the below mortgage assistance packet, AS WELL AS the above emergency assistance packet and submit that one to SELF. These two packets will be processed SEPARATELY.
Frequently Asked Questions – Applying for Emergency Assistance for Rent and Utilities
- Where do I return the application?
- Rent and Utility Assistance Applications can be returned to our offices in Hamilton (415 S. Monument Ave) or Middletown (930 9th Ave), or sent to our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mortgage Assistance Applications must be submitted to Neighborhood Housing Services of Hamilton, Inc. You may email them to email@example.com
- How long before I receive a call from SELF?
- A staff person should be in contact within 3 business days.
- How long does it take to process the application?
- It depends. Applicants need to ensure they have included ALL of the documents listed on the first page. Once you apply, your application is assigned to a staff member. They will contact you. Once all the documents are provided it will be given to administrative staff for final approval. Once approved, a check will be forwarded in 2-3 weeks.
- If I have applied previously, can I apply again and do I have to submit new documents?
- Yes, you can apply again. You will have to provide new documents because your previous documents were shredded to protect your confidentiality.
- How long do I have to provide missing documents?
- You have two (2) weeks to provide ALL the documents needed to apply.
- What happens if my landlord does not want to provide information?
- SELF will contact the landlord to provide information about the availability of the program.
- Can I get assistance if I am not behind on my bills?
- Applicants must be behind on bills to receive assistance.
- Can you assist with fees and court costs?
- We may be able to assist with late fees or court costs. We can not assist with attorney fees.
- Can you assist with utility bills?
- Yes, SELF can assist with utility bills. We require copies of each monthly bill that is past due.
- Do I have to have social security cards for all members of my family?
- Yes, SELF needs verification of these numbers for all US Citizens. If you do not have social security cards for adults, you can use a voter registration card that lists that number and a birth certificate. You may also use a previous year’s tax return form, with the number listed and a birth certificate. For children, if they are school age, the school should have a copy of their social security card.
- Can I receive assistance if I’m not a US Citizen?
- Yes, if you have provided all the documents needed to determine eligibility for assistance.
- What income information is needed?
- SELF requires income for the last 90 days for ALL adults residing in the home.
- What do I need to provide that shows I have been impacted by COVID?
- We will need all available documents to support how you have been impacted by COVID. This can include verification of a positive COVID-19 test, layoffs, job loss, etc.
For any questions regarding emergency assistance applications, please contact self at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-868-9300. Thank you!
Supports to Encourage Low-income Families (SELF) shall prioritize the completed application packets of households with total household income less than 50% area median income and/or households with one or more members that have been unemployed for at least 90 days. Application packets are assigned to an Emergency Services Specialist (Specialist) within 24 hours of receipt of the packet during normal business hours. The Emergency Services Specialist will review their assigned packets and will prioritize those who appear to meet the prioritization criteria. Applicants are given two weeks to gather and submit any and all missing documents.
Once an application packet is completed, the Specialist will note the priority status and submit the packet to an Approver for final review before submitting to Finance for payment (s) to be issued.