2020 Summer Crisis Energy Assistance
SELF’s Home Energy Assistance (HEAP) and Summer Crisis programs begin July 1 and run through September 30, 2020. The Ohio Development Services Agency has extended the length of the program and expanded eligibility requirements for 2020. This program exists to help income eligible Ohioans beat the heat during these hot summer months.
ENERGY ASSISTANCE APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Household member who is aged 60 or older, OR
Signed medical verification on letterhead OR a doctor script stating “DUE TO AN ILLNESS, THIS CLIENT WOULD BENEFIT FROM CONTINUED ELECTRIC SERVICE,” issued no more than one (1) year prior to the date the customer applies for the summer crisis program, OR
If a household member was diagnosed with COVID-19 (with written verification statement from client)
- Proof of current income for the last thirty (30) days and/or twelve (12) months (from the date of the application) for ALL household members age 18 and over. Seasonal and self-employed MUST provide 12 months income. Self-employed clients must provide a current FILED tax return.
- For all household members OVER 18 claiming someone outside the household has been supporting you: you must have a signed, detailed statement from that person stating the AMOUNT OF ASSISTANCE and HOW OFTEN they assist you. You may be asked to provide additional information such as a bank statement and/or an IRS wage transcript.
- If you receive SNAP, Section 8 Housing and/or Medicaid, you must bring proof of that assistance
- Picture ID
- Social Security cards for ALL household members/proof of citizenship
- Proof of disability, if applicable
- Date of birth for ALL household members
- Utility bills:
- Main heat source bill/invoice (gas, fuel oil, propane)
- Current electric utility bill. Bill MUST be in a HOUSEHOLD MEMBER’S NAME, aged 18 or older
- Payment arrangement form for City of Hamilton customers – if in a disconnect status/new service receipt of co-pay (if applicable)
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, energy assistance applications may be submitted with out making an appointment in-person.
Applications may be picked up outside either SELF office (1790 S. Erie Hwy in Hamilton or 930 9th Ave in Middletown). The application may also be downloaded here:
Completed applications may be submitted in a number of ways:
- Returned to either SELF office where secure lock boxes have been installed by the front doors.
- Mailed to PO Box 1322, Hamilton, OH 45012
- Scanned and emailed to email@example.com
- Faxed to 513-737-3889
If you have any questions about energy assistance or need help completing your application, call SELF at 513-868-9300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional information may also be found at energyhelp.ohio.gov